Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Big Trip South: Overview


Start Tauranga 30/12/09 45750km
Arrive Wellington: 46567km
Depart Nelson for Picton: 46687km
Depart Wellington for Whangamomona: 47800km
Arrive Putaruru: 48365km
Finish Tauranga: 09/01/2009 48520km

Total: 2770km over 11 days. (8 days me riding, 1 day Shane riding)

This was an absolutely great trip. I was unfortunate to injure myself and need to pull out of the second day of the Dusty Butt.
The scenery and terrain on the Dusty Butt was spectacular. It was easily well worth it. I am keen to do it again next year.
For me personally, I found the Dusty Butt to be very easy riding. Even the sections that are described as more challenging are quite easy to ride. I guess this just comes down to individual competency. I would think that any reasonably experienced trail rider would find the going quite easy. I rode a 1992 jap import XT400 which probably struggles to put out 25 horsepower. This is easily powerful enough for the Dusty Butt. A lighter bike with better suspension would be great, but no more power is actually needed. I even suspect that a Suzuki GN125 with knobbly tyres could get around, although it may have trouble in some of the water crossings. (but I have only done the first half of the DB1k) Perhaps I may try it next year :-)

I think it is great that a few guys off the biker forums are willing to go out of their way and organise this officially unorganised event. Even though the corner I crashed on is a known hazard that catches out a lot of people, I feel like a bit of an idiot/liability for crashing and having to rely on others to help me out. I did a lot of adventure riding in the North Island leading up to this event to try and get myself together as a reliable, responsible and independent unit that could get through off my own back. I am very grateful and indebted to those that went out of their way to help me out.

My 4 month foray into adventure riding has been really great so far. It has been more enjoyable and satisfying than I expected. However it is worth noting that I have always been a bit of a "hard charger" when it comes to road riding and trail riding. Perhaps it is not so wise to burst into adventure riding with the same "hard charging" attitude. Adventure riding places you into situations where you can be a long way from help should anything go wrong. Road riding and trail riding is not the same in this respect.
It will be interesting to see if in the future I am able to adjust my riding style to take into consideration the requirement for a wider safety margin when traversing more remote terrain.

No comments: