Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Big Trip South: Day 6 - 4th Jan - DB1k Part 2

I was too injured to ride so got a lift back to Nordie's house in Nelson with Ms Topo.
I had left my bike at the Rotoroa clubrooms. Shane was going to take care of getting it back to Nelson. The plan was for me to fly back to Tauranga and worry about picking up the bike after I had recovered sufficiently to be able to ride.
I booked a flight to Tauranga for the next day $433.
I went down to Lambretta's cafe for 11:00am to meet up with the one day riders.
I went to sleep at Nordie's for about an hour from 1pm to 2 pm. When I awoke I was feeling much better and the pain level had reduced significantly. I rang Shane and asked if he could ride my bike back to Nelson as I felt I would now be OK to ride the bike home. Shane was able to do this but had to hand over the driving of the support vehicle to Mrs Jatz.
This was great. Things were working out OK. I cancelled my plane trip ($15 cancellation fee)

Later that evening I was present at the 18th birthday of Ms Nordies son. A bit of fun.
Later Nordie, Jatz, Shane, Aslan, HelenOfTroy and Mrs Jatz turned up briefly and I got my bike back. They all looked as though they had been on a bit of a mission!
Shane seemed to think that the XT400 needed its air filter cleaned and slightly lower gearing. I totally agreed. He had been using a teaspoon to short across the broken start button. A source of much amusement. He kindly handed me the teaspoon so I could continue to use it. I didn't tell him that I had previously organised my tankbag to have a teaspoon in the side pocket that I intended to use instead of a screwdriver. One thing that struck me about Shane was how similar his and my thinking seemed to be.

$40 to Shane for 2 tanks of gas for the XT

1 comment:

NordieBoy said...

"One thing that struck me about Shane was how similar his and my thinking seemed to be."

Even your riding styles are similar.
The way he headed up the Porika it was as if you were still on it - seated and nailed.