Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Big Trip South: Day 5 - 3rd Jan - DB1k Part 1

Slight delay in the morning waiting for the support wagon to arrive.
Set off on the Dusty Butt 1000km 2009 at approx. 6:30am.
There were 8 of us on bikes doing the 2 day version of the DB1k:
TuckerBag - XT400 (Me)
Jatz - DR Big 750
Topo - KTM 640 Enduro
Nordie - DR-Z400 (borrowed)
Ham - DR-Z400
Aslan DR650
HelenOfTroy DR650
Padmei - KLR650

There were 2 support crew in the "Smurf" Hilux
Shane
Mrs Jatz

I got a puncture going over first section; Maungatapu. It was a rivet (see pic) that had worked its way through my rear tyre. Shane driving the suppport wagon was of great help repairing the pucture. The spare rear tube I carried was actually a front tube. Luckily Shane had a spare 17" rear tube in the support wagon.
Rode through to Blenheim and the Onamolutu trail.
[ more text here, but largely covered in Nordies report at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=421480&page=3 ]

Crashed on Ryan's Corner in "The Rainbow". Lost a handy wooden stick and a DryRider rain suit. Broke front mudguard and starter switch. Was now using a screwdriver to short across the starter switch to get the starter motor to turn.

I have been doing trail rides for about 16 years on my CR250 and KTM360SX. And I have been road riding for 25 years. Over this time I have encountered my fair share of nasty corners. However, I have to say thet Ryan's corner is by far the most deceptive bend I have ever come across. I'm not too sure exactly what it is about the corner but somehow I felt safe as I approached the apex and was about to get on the gas to power out of the corner when I came to the sudden and shocking realisation that I was quite simply going way to fast to make the bend. I can't really remember exactly what happened next but looking at the wheel marks it seems that I chucked the bike sideways and jumped on the brakes, only to career (at pace!) off into the boggy ditch. I can remember the front wheel twisting violently to the right on entering the bog as I speared off the bike and landed backwards into the thankfully softish grassy wet dirt bank. The impact winded me for a long time (about 3 minutes it seemed?) and I was quite concerned that I had done some major damage to my internals. I managed to stand up but almost immediately fell over again. Pretty soon some of the other riders arrived and got my bike up onto the road. I was very sore and suspected a broken right shoulder blade. However, I was able to get back on and ride the bike (for about another 2 hours?) to Lake Rotoroa. It was great to have the other guys there to help.
We stayed the night at the Lake Rotoroa Rowing Club.
I had a bit of a sit down on arrival at the club house. I wasn't feeling too good. I soon began to feel quite a lot more pain and wasn't looking so good. Mrs Jatz kindly gave me a plate of hot food, a fancy type of spag bol, and after I finished eating Ms Topo drove me to the Murchison A&E with HelenOfTroy coming along as well as she was the medical expert. I was given some pain killers and told to take it easy. It seemed that I may have cracked a rib. The treatment for which is rest and painkillers. We got back to the clubrooms about 12:30 at night. I really need to thank everybody involved in helping me out with getting through this crash injury.
I had a pretty average sleep that night.

$10 to Padmei for accomodation.
Fuelled up at Shell in Blenhiem at 10:52am. 9.25l $12.75
Fuelled up at Caltex In Hanmer Springs $29.64
Petrol money to Jatz for trip to Murcheson A&E $20
A&E consultation fee $25.

No comments: