Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Big Trip South: Day 7 - 5th Jan - French Pass & Wellington to Whangamomona



Topped up fuel in Nelson
Breakfast at Rai Valley
Rai Valley to French Pass to Bulwer Pass to Rai valley. 9:15am to 12:30pm. 180km. Brake fade esp. rear.
Fuelled up at Rai Valley Motors $21.49

I was running a bit late and so had my head down as I charged through Queen Charlotte Drive into Picton. I arrived at the ferry with the last of the cars rolling on. No problems.
Crossed on ferry, Depart Picton 2:30 arrived Wellington about 5:30pm. Interislander $122.00
I wanted to get to Whangamomona on the "Forgotten World" Highway and stay the night there. To get there before dark was unlikely so I was on a bit of a mission to get there as soon as possible to ensure being able to get a place to stay before The Pub shut. I guess I could have simply rung ahead but that would be too easy.
The road from Wellington to Levin was quite annoying. The motorway seems to have a speed limit that changes very frequently and changes to a road through the centre of sattelite towns then back to a motorway. I quite intensely dislike this section of road.
Fuelled up at Wanganui BP 12.59l $17.49
Topped up in Hawera about$5
Arrive Whangamomona Pub 10:15pm.

The publican was able to supply me with a pie and a pint.
He advised that I could stay in a cabin at the campground 500m down the road for $20.
I got talking to some people in the Pub and they seemed quite amused that I had just come from Neslon, via Fench Pass to Whangamomona on an XT400 with a suspected cracked rib. One guy commented that "You read books about guys like you". Another that "That man deserves a DB".

I left the pub and checked into a cabin without waking the camp owner.

No comments: