Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Big Trip South: Day 8 - 6th Jan - Punctures & Putaruru

I woke up in a cabin at the Whangamomona campground.
Had a shower and put some money on a tree stump near the campground office. I only had about $17.50 and should have paid $20. I figured that the attendant would prefer not to be woken up over a matter of $2.50. Left Whangamomona about 7:30am.
The ride through to Taumaranui was great at that time of the day. There is approx 20km of gravel and a 200m tunnel.
Breakfast in Taumaranui with Colin at a cafè. Fuelled up $14.00 8:42am.
Massage by Colin's father a naturopath.
I rode on to Tihoi where I suffered a puncture in the rear tyre. I replaced the tube with my spare 17" front tube. This was quite a mission to do with a suspected cracked rib as I was quite weak. I headed off down the road feeling quite proud of myself for being able to repair the puncture given my painful state.
The puncture was caused by a spoke breaking off at the hub and somehow then putting a hole in the tube.
Unfortunately, the inner of the tyre had been ruptured and was rubbing against the poor quality tube. After only 5 km the rear tube punctured again. This was not good. I now had no way to fix the puncture. It was a very hot day and I was tired and hurting from the stress of having to repair a puncture with sore ribs.
However, I was now far enough north to be within about a 45 minute drive to my nearest friends.
I rang my dairy farmer friend Hawky. He said he would be able to pick me up in his ute after milking the cows. This was great news.
I parked the bike at the nearest farm letterbox 2033 Whakamaru Rd; Mr Brown.
It was bout 3:00pm. I wandered up to the farmhouse, introduced myself and explained my predicament. The couple who owned the farm were very inviting and hospitable. I soon found myself sitting in the shade in a deck chair with a glass of iced water and a few biscuits. I had a nice long chat with both of them. It was great to have a nice rest and recuperate.
About 6:30pm Hawky picked me up in his ute and we went back to his farm at Woutu near Putaruru. The suspension in his ute was not as plush as that of the XT400 and I found the ride quite uncomfortable with my ribs hurting. However, I was not complaining.

1 comment:

swain said...

Driving 45mins in a ute to pick up a broken Tuck/bike sounds familiar...