Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Sandra's 40th

Friday 14th November 2008.

I set off up to Whangarei for Sandra's 40th with plans to continue on to Cape Reinga.

I had the GSXR1000 muffler and Bridgestone WT302 piled on top along with tank bag, pack and top box.

Yep, fully loaded. In the back of my mind I was a bit concerned that the rear carrier frame/pack rack might not handle the trip up to Cape Reinga and back.

Top box: Tent, Mattress, Jeans, Wet Weather DriRider Suit, 3 x plastic bags, bike pump.

Pack: Tools, Sleeping bag, sandals, 1l oil, chain lube, wood block for side stand, deodorant, swim shorts, disc lock.

Tank bag: Towel, phone, toilet bag, shirt, socks and undies, banana, drink bottle, sunblock, wetsuit.


I stopped at Auckland to drop off the muffler.

I also popped into Cycletreads on the North Shore and returned the Bridgestone.

What a relief it was to have those 2 items gone from my luggage.

By the way, the new Mitas E-09 was a lot better on the tarmac than the squirmy old Kenda. Quite confidence inspiring actually. I was running 22 PSI in the front Kenda and 24 PSI in the rear Mitas.


Departed Cycletreads about 13:30 and rode straight to McLeods Bay in the Whangarei Heads where Sandra was having her 40th birthday party. Got there about 16:00.

Stayed Friday and Saturday night at McLeods Bay.

Then stayed Sunday and Monday night at a friends (Wattoes) place out near Ngunguru on the coast just north of Whangarei.

No comments: