Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Change Exhaust


The standard exhaust on the XT is an ugly, heavy (6.5 kg) restrictive piece of junk. I was really keen to change it.
At first I bought an '04 GSXR 1000 muffler via TradeMe for $69, but this was too big and just plain wrong. Don't really know WHAT I was thinking there? I later sold this (again on TradeMe, $60) and had to take it with me next trip up to Auckalnd to deliver it. (See post titled "Sandra's 40th")
After looking at a few bikes, I decided that the Suzuki DR-Z 400 had an exhaust that looked as though it might be easily modified to fit the XT.
I bought an '04 DR-Z 400 exhaust off trademe for $60 + $20 freight. It weighed in at 4.0 kgs
I took it around to Wobblies and within about an hour we had chopped it and rewelded and had it fitted up sweet looking pretty much as though it was a standard item.
I paid wobbly $50 and a bottle of red wine.
It stated on the pipe that it was rated at 82dB. Not too noisy.
The spark arrestor can be easily removed by undoing 3 bolts. This makes it considerably louder and I haven't bothered to find out if more grunt also comes about with more noise.

I took it for a quick spin up the road as soon as the pipe was fitted.
It definitely seemed to have a little more power right throughout the rev range.
Sweet. I would guess that it now puts out about 25 horsepower. Bit of a wild guess that.

No comments: