Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Oropi Back-Blocks

I decided that I had better just do a little bit of gravel riding somewhere local just to see how the ol' pig goes when it comes to some more "adventurous" roads.
I immediately thought of the gravel road that goes from Oropi (where Dave lives) through to the Pyes Pa Road to Rotorua.

So I cruised over to Dave's place and barged in on a little newborn baby coffee group "6 months in" party. Blabbed a bit of shet then headed off into the gravel.
I ended up doing about a 100km trip looping around out to the Pyes Pa Road and then off to TePuke, the back way, and back to Oropi.
Had a real blast. Was much more fun than I anticipated.
The gutlessness of the bike just doesn't seem to matter (much) once you're on the gravel.
The front "Kenda" brand tyre seemed to grip OK, and the rear Kenda was OK but was sliding a bit under "power" but it was well worn.
I had had a taste and was pretty keen for some more.

No comments: