Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Fix Rear Carrier Frame,.. again


The rear carrier frame suffered a bit on the Waikaremoana ride. Basically one of the original welds cracked just toward the end of the ride. This quickly escalated to another original weld breaking away and another part of the tubing cracking wide open.
This time I wanted to sort it out so that it was fixed once and for all.
I got Wobbly to reluctantly take a look at it ,.. again.
He did mumble something about this being the last time he wanted to have anything to do with a crappy ol' XT 400. Fair enough I guess.
Thing is: the structural integrity of the rear carrier frame is just so vitally important. I just cannot have it let me down when I am miles from anywhere on some bumpy road. That would be a complete disaster!
I really really wanted it fixed once and for all.
We decided to add another 2 supports bolting onto the top bolt of the rear grab rails.
Wobbly didn't have any suitable steel bar, so he decided to cut up a bit of an old handlebar and flattened out the 2 half rounds in the press to make some suitable flat bar.
Anyway, once he had drilled some holes and bent the new supports into the right shape and welded it all up the rear carrier seemed absolutely rock solid.
I was a happy man.
That took about 1.5 hours and I paid the Wobbster $75 and a bottle of red wine.

No comments: