Monday, December 7, 2009

BMC: Day 3 Fairlie to Invercargil








Friday 27th November 2009

Slept in till about 8:30am. Washed a few clothes. Checked the valve clearance on the noisy tappet (RH Exhaust). It seemed perfectly fine at 4 to 5 thou.

About 11:30am took off to Burke's Pass and headed along Rollesby Valley Rd then onto Mackenzie Pass Rd. Then along the Hakataramea Pass Rd. Fantastic scenery. Came out at Kurow where I gassed up.
Then on to Duntroon and over Dansey's Pass. It was blowing a gale and it was difficult going. I adapted my riding to suit the blustery conditions and really started to enjoy the ride immensly.
[more descriptive text reqd]

The Dansey's Pass Pub was an unexpected but completely welcome sight. What a great Pub! I stopped and had a beer and a couple of toasted sandwiches. Appriox 1:00pm.

I gassed up again at Ranfurly and headed off to Patearoa and through Paerau, along Upper Taieri Paerau Rd onto Linburn Runs Rd and then onto the Deep Creek Rd which leads onto the Lake Onslow Rd and through to Roxburgh. This was a pretty cool road!

Back onto the seal and through to Raes Junction, Tapanui, Gore and Invercargil.
I rode out onto Oreti Beach at 7:30pm to find that the beach racing had been cancelled due to high winds and also high-ish tide due partially also to the high winds. This was a bit of a bummer. I had just ridden for three days solid. I had really been looking forward to seeing the beach racing.

I went back to the Rally campgound near Teretonga racetrack and checked in and set up my tent. I went into the main marquee and got myself a couple of whiskeys. I started to look for Jonno, and almost instantly found him amoungst a few hundred bikers. Sweet.

Crawled into my tent at midnight. Job done!



Departed Fairlie 11:30am odometer 55797km
Arrive camp ground Invercargil 8:00pm odometer 56293km
496km over 8.5 hours


No comments: