Monday, December 7, 2009

BMC: Day 2 Picton to Fairlie


Thursday 26th November 2009

On the Wellington side at the ferry terminal there were about 10 other bikes all heading down for the Burt Munroe Challenge. I got talking to them all as you do. One guy had put some Ducati 1098 mufflers on his VFR800. Looked pretty cool.
I got about 2 hours sleep on the ferry lying on the lounge bar floor with my ear plugs in.




Set off from Picton about 5:50am along the coast road to Rarangi and Blenheim. I had a major front end slide on a patch of gravel on seal just as the sun hit me with blinding sun strike at one point. Quite dangerous but I came out of it totally OK.
On towards Kaikoura and stopped to see if the Awatere Valley Rd through the Molesworth Sheep Station was open. It wasn't so I had to carry on via the Inland Kaikoura Rd stopping at Mt. Lyford.


Then along the Lewis Pass to reefton and through to Nelson's Creek and Inchbonnie. Riding along the Lewis Pass into a head wind at times I found the power of the XT lacking a bit. I was often down to 90km/h in 4th gear. To be able to ride fast enough to enjoy the more open sweepers on tarmac roads, a bit more horsepower is required. I can see why 600-660cc single cylinder 4 stroke adventure bikes are quite popular.
The Nelson Creek to Inchbonnie back road is quite open hardpack dirt/gravel and I was able to cruise at 90-100km/h quite safely. It was a bit of higher speed non-tarmac fun.



Back over Arthur's Pass to Darfield, Geraldine and Fairlie. Stayed the night at a Fairlie camp ground. Met 2 other bikers. One was Peter Steadman from Te Puke (GPz550) and his mate Carl (XJ1200?).

Depart Picton 5:50am odometer 54918km
Arrive Fairlie 8:30pm odometer 55797km
879 km over 14.5 hours

No comments: