Monday, December 7, 2009

BMC: Day 5 Invercargil to Greymouth



Sunday 29th November 2009

Got up about 7:00am. had another pre-paid $11 breakfast.
Packed up my tent and oiled the chain.
Departed the campground approx 9:10am.
There was a toy run organised to go out to Wyndham where the street racing was to be held.
However, due to the nasty looking weather forecast I decided to make tracks back up North.
I went through Winton and on towards Frankton. Then up the Coronet Peak Rd to Skippers Rd and out to Skippers Bridge. This is a very narrow twisty gravel road with totally blind single lane corners. It would not be so bad except for the number of tourists and small buses travelling it.




On to Wanaka. Here I diverted off to Treble Cone just to have a look. Then back to Wanaka and over to Haast. I made sure I got to Haast before 5pm just in case the petrol stations were shutting early to force people to stay the night. However, upon arrival I noticed a sign that said 24 hour card operated pumps. I did not need to check this out as the petrol station was open.

Up the West Coast Rd to Hokitika. I decided I did not need to fill up at Fox Glacier, as a result I VERY NEARLY ran out of gas before Hokitika. I must have pulled into Hokitika with less than 100 ml of petrol left. I was going to stay the night in Hokitika but decided to press on to Greymouth as I was feeling quite good.


Depart Invercargil 9:10am odometer 56293
Arrive Greymouth 8:10pm odometer 57111km
818km over 11 hours

No comments: