Monday, February 16, 2009

New Sprocket & Chain. Brake calliper maintenance. New Fork Fluid

Saturday 14th February 2008

I went around to Tim's and used his chain breaker to get the chain off.
Fitted new sprockets and chain that I got from Hakan. Chain was a DID 520 X-ring.
Bike seemed to cruise along the road a lot more smoothly, and almost feels a bit more powerful (perhaps my imagination)

Sunday 15th February 2008

Pulled the front brake callipers completely apart. Cleaned everything and re-assembled.
They were not too bad actually and no real noticeable improvement.

Monday 16th February 2008

Greased up the caliper slider rods on the rear brake.
Drained the front forks of their fluid. It was pretty disgusting to look at. The oil was a dark silvery colour, as if it was full of aluminium "dust".
Put 500ml of Motul 5W fork fluid in each fork. $17.50 from Bayride Yamaha.
Forks now do feel a bit more plush. It actually seems a bit lighter in the steering, but again, probably just my imagination.
Bought a tyre inner tube puncture repair kit from Smiths Motorcycles. $5.50.

I will be heading down to Stewart Island on Wednesday 18th February 2008 (2 days time).
I have a wedding to attend in Dunedin (Lanarch Castle) on Sat 21st Feb 2008. So I have to factor this into my trip.
Now I just need to book the ferry and sort out some gravel back-roads to take. Should be about 3500km return trip.

My cracked rib is not too painful at all now. I still cannot lift heavy stuff, but hopefully it will be OK to do this ride on.
Mental note to self: Don't crash or do anything bad as far as ribs are concerned.

No comments: