Friday, February 20, 2009

Natalie's Wedding - Day 1 - Tauranga to Wellington

Wednesday 18th February 2008

My cousin Natalie is getting married at Lanarch Castle near Dunedin on Saturday 21st, so I thought I would take the XT on another mission to the South Island; this time going as far south as Stewart Island.

Loaded up the bike with TopBox, RackPack and TankBag and rode to Wellington via Lake Waikaremoana.
Departed Whakamarama about 10:30am
Start 49622 km
Arrive Wellington 8:30pm, 50450 km = 828 km


Almost collided with a horse just southeast of Ruatahuna. Came around a left hand corner to find mare and foal gazing bank directly in my path. I thought it was all over but the horse moved out of the way very quickly at the last second. We missed by centimetres, I was quite relieved.

Dropped in to Mokau landing to see camp warden Craig but he was not in his caravan.

At the cafe about 2km south of Wairoa the odometer clocked up 50,000 kms. I took a photo of it just to be a dick.

Arrived at Pete and Ants place in Thorndon about 8:30pm
Pete had cooked a lasagna.
Crashed out on couch about 11:30pm
Got up at 1:30am and got on the ferry (departed 2:35am)
Slept under some seats in the lounge bar on the Ferry. Crossing cost $92, cheaper fare at this stupid hour. Usually about $135. Got an OK sleep as I had my ear plugs in.
Ferry arrived Picton 5:35 am Thursday morning. I was the only motorcycle on the ferry.

No comments: