Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Dusty Butt '10 SBC: Preparation


OK this does not include the XT400 but it is one hell of an enjoyable adventure ride.

The Dusty Butt 1000km is to be held in the lower South Island this year.
There is a Small Bore Challenge sub group for those that do the ride on a bike with 125cc or less.
On November 10th 2009 I bought a '04 NXR125 off TradeMe from Gisborne for $900 with the intention of riding it down to do the DB1k SBC.

I did a bit of work on the bike to get it ready:
Replaced farm knobblies with Pirelli MT60's Fr and Rr ($170 from Coastline Honda)
Got rear rack welded up to take Top Box and Pack rack ($100 Wobbly)
Bought second hand indicators and 2 new lenses.
Replaced rear shock lower bearing and regreased swingarm bearings
Closed up tappet clearance from 10/7 thou to 5/4 thou
Checked and re-greased steering head bearings
Lubed the cables and freed up the throttle
Attached front bikini fairing properly
New front sprocket and chain. Used old alloy Rear sprocket off my CR (13 tooth front, 49 tooth rear)
Installed chain guard off my XT400
Bought spare tubes for puncture repair
Swapped out the standard cardboard air filter for two dish washing sponges.
Replaced the broken gear shift shaft.
Changed oil (Motul 3100)
Added an after market Front brake perch clamp that had thread in top for rear view mirror ($28)
Added rear view mirror from wreckers
Checked front wheel bearings.
Replaced rear wheel bearings
Checked and cleaned Fr and Rr Drum brake pads
Replaced front fork fluid

I ran out of time to pull the head and barrel off to check the engine out properly, so I just hoped it would be OK. It is basically an XLR125 engine with 10k on it so should be sweet as these engines have been truly tried and tested.

Work commitments really piled up near the time of the DB1k and I actually posted in the forum saying that I wasn't going to be able to make it due to stupid workloads.
However, I managed to do a lot of trouble-free productive hours in the lead up to the DB1k and amazingly was able to depart in time to get there after all. I was a bit disorganised as a result, but at least I got there.

The NXR weighs 123kg with 2 litres of fuel on board
When fully loaded up :
Tank bag 7.5 kg
Rack pack 13 kg
Top Box 12.5 kg

it weighs 156 kg. With a full tank I guess this goes up to about 165kg.
Then I sit on it and it is 267kg rolling along the road.

At DB1k I lose the tank bag and top box resulting in a bike weight of about 136-145kg depending on fuel level.

No comments: