Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Gear Lever, Air Filter, and Carbies.


Yesterday I got the gear lever welded up at Smiths Motorcycles in Tauranga ($8)
I pulled the cardboard air filter out, washed it out in water with laundry powder, and put it in the hot water cupboard to dry out. It was pretty filthy.
The air box had about 50 mls of thick brown liquid in the bottom, no doubt from the river crossing on the Takahue Saddle track.
I pulled off the carbies and found that the diaphragm on the CV carb had 2 small holes in it. I had a go at repairing it with silicone RTV poo. Left it overnight to set. You can see the light shining through the 2 small holes in the picture below.
Today I enquired as to the price and availability of a new gear lever and carby diaphragm at Bayride Yamaha in Tauranga.
Still waiting for my man "Hakan" to get back to me about possible spares that he may have for the XT. Especially washable air filter and gear lever.



It is now tomorrow. Thursday 4th December 2008
I put the welded up gear lever on, carbies back in, and air filter back in.
Seems to be running good and the throttle shuts down properly to idle now regardless of how slow or fast you snap the throttle shut.
Not sure how long the silicone repair job on the CV diaphragm will last, but even if it fails, one carby will still be operational, so it won't be a total show-stopper.

No comments: